Just Host Web Hosting Help
How to Configure CuteFTP
There are many different ways you can establish a connection using CuteFTP. This article will focus on the steps to connect the quickest method, the connection bar. If you are looking for different instructions regarding CuteFTP, please refer to the following articles:
- Obtaining and Installing CuteFTP
- How to Configure CuteFTP
- How to Manage Files with CuteFTP
- How to Transfer Files with CuteFTP
Configuring a Connection
The quickest and easiest way to establish a connection between a local machine (the computer you are connecting from) and a remote server (the computer/server you are connecting to) using CuteFTP is by using the connect bar at the top of the screen below the toolbar (If you would like to save a connection for later, use the Site Manager tab).
- Enter the correct Host/Domain/IP address into the 'Host:' field. This could be the server name, the server IP, domain name, and in some cases ftp.domain.com. For a Just Host account, your domain will be fine so long as it is properly pointed towards the server.
- Enter the correct FTP username into the 'Username:' field. This can be the cPanel username which is also an FTP account or an FTP account which you have setup.
- If connecting via an additional FTP account, make sure to use the full FTP username (ex: [email protected]).
- For an SFTP connection, click the second icon to the right of the port field, the settings icon. Under the 'Type' tab, change the protocol to 'SFTP ussing SSH2 (Secure Shell)'. Then click OK on the settings window and finalize the connection using the same connection icon as with FTP
You should now be successfully connecting to your remote server using CuteFTP. You will now want to learn how manage your files using CuteFTP.