You can avoid the timeout error message "Your IMAP server has closed the connection. This may occur if you have left the connection idle for too long" by changing the setting. The default install of Outlook 2003 provides the following configuration.
To adjust the Server timeouts setting:
- From the Tools menu, select E-mail Accounts...
- Select View or change existing e-mail accounts and click Next.
- Select the e-mail you want to modify and click Change.
- To bring up the Internet E-Mail Settings window, click More Settings...
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Left click on the slide-point and drag to the far right side (10 minutes).
By changing the setting, you can avoid the above error message.
- Click Apply and then OK.
Recommended Help Content
Configuring your email client: Outlook Express.
How to setup an email account using Microsoft Outlook 2013
How to setup an email account using Microsoft Outlook 2010
Related Help Content
How to setup an email account using Microsoft Outlook 2007
Configuring your email client: Outlook 2003
How do I migrate an IMAP email account?
How to setup an email account in Outlook
How do I add my Just Host email account to Outlook 2002?
How to setup an email account in Outlook 2016 for Mac
How to setup an email account in Outlook 2016 for Windows
How to setup your Just Host-hosted email address with an email application.