Using a Public/Private key to authenticate when logging into SSH can provide added convenience or added security. The Public/Private key can be used in place of a password so that no username/password is required to connect to the server via SSH. Instead the unique public and private key provide the secure authentication. It is advised that the key uses a different password from your cPanel password.
Generating the Key
- Login to your Just Host Control Panel
- Choose SSH / Shell Access, in the Security section.
- Click Manage SSH Keys
- Choose to Generate a new Key
- Enter a new Key password.
- Choose DSA or RSA for the type.
It is recommend that you choose RSA.
- Choose a Key size, it is recommend to use 2048 or higher.
- Click Generate Key
- Click the Go Back button.
Authorize the Key
Authorizing the key will add the public key to the authorized_keys file.
- Click Manage Authorization
- Click the Authorize button for your newly created key.
- Click Go Back to return to the main page.
The private key needs to be stored on your local computer.
- To the right of your private key, click View/Download.
- Click the Download Key button to download the private key.
- If on Linux or Mac OS copy the id_dsa file to your ~/.ssh folder.
- On Windows you will want to move it some place safe.
Using your new key
For Windows please see Using SSH on Windows (PuTTY)
Linux or Mac OS
After entering the passphrase you will be connected to the server.
- Open your Terminal
- Enter the following command
- If you created a passphrase you might see something like the following
Enter passphrase for key '~/.ssh/id_dsa':
Recommended Help Content
How do I create a Public/Private Key Pair in cPanel for use via SSH?
This article will explain how to view the outgoing email queue or exim queue in SSH.
I would like to know how to create a new gpg key using SSH access.
Related Help Content
Is SSH/Shell access enabled by default?
This article will explain how to check the dates of your backups using SSH.
How to enable/turn on SSH access for Resold accounts
How to quickly grant sudo access from the control panel
What is a Public IP Address?
tags: ip public
What is SSH and how do I setup secure connections.
This article will explain how to view the email logs on a Dedicated or VPS server. This may be usefull if you are experiencing trouble with your email.
How to assign a dedicated IP to a domain on a dedicated server.