yum is a package manager that is used to install, update and remove applications in the CentOS system.
You will need to make sure that you have Sudo Access enabled. If you have not enabled sudo access please see Enabling Sudo Access to learn how to do so.
The following is what you can use with yum:
- To install a package you would use install and the package name after yum.
sudo yum install package
- If you are not sure of the package name you can use search and part of the package name or term after yum.
sudo yum search package
- To find out the information of the package that you want to install you use info and the package name.
sudo yum info package
- For updating packages that you have installed with yum use update and the package name.
sudo yum update package
Note: To update yum you would use update with out the package name.
- Uninstalling packages will use the remove tag and the package name with yum.
sudo yum remove package
Recommended Help Content
How to install Java in a dedicated server.
VPS and Dedicated servers come with all applications necessary to run a standard web and email server. The applications that come with the VPS and Dedicated servers are generally supported as-is by our support technicians.
How to create a package on your Reseller account.
Related Help Content
This is a tutorial on how to install Git onto the server.
If you need to transfer or restore a cPanel account for your VPS or Dedicated server, there is a tool within the WHM panel to perform these tasks. This article is about transferring or restoring from another server or restoring after a re-image.
This tutorial will help you be able to install the PHP PECL package APC. (Alternative PHP Cache)
How to manage the SSL used for cPanel login through the WHM
CSF is a firewall for VPS and Dedicated servers. CSF is not installed as part of our default images on VPS or Dedicated servers. This article describes how to install it yourself or request support do so.
How to install ClamAV to help with virus protection.
How to install a program using MOJO Marketplace.
How to install a Minecraft Server.