Just Host Web Hosting Help
Modifying table columns - phpMyAdmin
Modifying table columns in phpMyAdmin
This tutorial will demonstrate how to modify existing MySQL database tables in phpMyAdmin.
WARNING! Be careful changing certain aspects of table columns, because it is possible to lose data. For example, if you change the maximum length of a field from 20 characters to 15 characters, any data in that column that is longer than 15 characters will be truncated (chopped off).
Begin by accessing phpMyAdmin via cPanel.
- Select the database you want to work with (by clicking on database name in the left column of the phpMyAdmin home page).
- Once inside a database, you will see a list of tables. Click on the table you wish to modify.
- Inside the table, you will see a list of columns. To the right of the column name, you will see a link called "Change" under the Actions. Click on the Change link for the column you wish to modify.
- You can change a variety of things, including the name of the column, length of the field (maximum number of characters allowed), default value, and more.
- Once you are ready to proceed, click on Save to save the changes.
The changes you requested will have been applied.
Knowledgebase Article 63,647 views bookmark
sharetags: databases mysql phpmyadmin
Share or save this via:
Recommended Help Content
Instructions on deleting tables from your database using phpMyAdmin
A tutorial on how to perminately delete columns from your mySQL database using phpMyAdmin
This article will show you how to rename a database table in phpMyAdmin.
Related Help Content
Guidance on adding tables to your mySQL database in phpMyAdmin
Step by step directions on how you can search your database using phpMyAdmin
I would like to dump the Table Structure for my MySQL Database, but none of the data.
Instructions on adding a column to your database in phpMyAdmin
A guide to duplicating a MySQL database using phpMyAdmin
A guide on performing a standard SQL query using the phpMyAdmin interface
A repository of information on how you can manage your database by using the phpMyAdmin interface.